Thursday, June 4, 2009

Cloth Napkins (greener AND decadent!)

You may not believe this, but I actually experience JOY (and I do mean utter happiness) when using CLOTH NAPKINS. Unfortunately, I have been treating my cloth napkins like my fine china and would only pull them out when I had company and then ONLY IF the occasion warranted such refinement.

In my efforts to GO GREEN
and get my carbon footprint smaller, I've discovered using cloth napkins EVERY DAY...at EVERY meal! I'm a textile person and I LOVE fabric - so of course I have a drawer full of cloth napkins.

Now, I even stack them on the buffet in my kitchen for easy reach. They can even make a style statement (see photo)! Try putting them in a basket on your counter or stack a few on your kitchen island.

Today, I am joyfully feeling, smelling and savoring each of my tiny hemmed textiles! No guilt. It's green. And I'm thrilled.

Look for 100% Cotton napkins (or cotton/linen blend) made with a nice hem and mitered corners.
Here are a few that we have at The Nesting Place.




















Go Green!
check out this Carbon Footprint Calculator and find some great tips on living, working and being more GREEN.

* In the the photo above:
Pottery by Donna Steele - a Birmingham pottery artist from whom I purchased these fabulous platters at The Magic City Art Connection (held each spring in Linn Park, downtown Birmingham). Sorry, Donna, I couldn't find your website.

Shepherd print came from Molly & Max a dog boutique in Cahaba Heights, 205-977-5999! My favorite doggie shop...they have prints of all kinds of breeds. Frame from The Nesting Place.

My antique buffet is FULL of table linens...some antique, some just old, some fabulously new!

QUICK TIP: store some great smelling candles in your linen drawer and all of your fabrics will smell glorious when you pull them out! Be sure to wrap your candles in paper towels and then again in plastic to make sure the colored wax doesn't bleed onto your linens.

No comments:

Post a Comment